Outreach and public service have been the core of CFI’s activities since its founding in 2006. We advocate on behalf of consumers for a stronger, science-based food safety system that improves public health through the prevention of foodborne illness.
Our outreach and public service activities include:
- Encouraging the development and implementation of stronger food protections by:
- Educating decision-makers in the public and private sectors on important food safety issues;
- Facilitating engagement of Ohio State faculty, staff, and students with decision makers to more broadly disseminate the research being conducted at Ohio State;
- Conducting briefings and meetings with Congressional, USDA, FDA, and CDC staff;
- Coordinating the development and submission of comments in response to Federal Register Notices related to important food safety issues.
- Serving on a number of national advisory committees, including:
- USDA National Advisory Committee on Microbiological Criteria for Foods (NACMCF);
- USDA National Advisory Committee on Meat and Poultry Inspection (NACMPI);
- CDC Board of Scientific Counselors;
- Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Surveillance Working Group;
- FDA Science Board.
- Participating in coalitions aimed at improving public health and food safety, including:
- Make Our Food Safe Coalition;
- Safe Food Coalition;
- Alliance for a Stronger FDA;
- Supporters of Agricultural Research;
- Stakeholders Forum on Antimicrobial Resistance.