Our Research StudiesBack
Below you will find a list of various research articles related to Food Safety.
- Casagrande G, LeJeune J, Belury MA, Medeiros LC. Registered dietitian’s personal beliefs and characteristics predict their teaching or intention to teach fresh vegetable food safety. Appetite; 2011: in press.
- Rodriguez-Marval M, Kendall PA, LeJeune J, Belk K, Medeiros LC, Sofos JN. Risk factors associated with prevalence of foodborne pathogens in rural households of Colorado with and without ruminant animals. Food Protection Trends 2010;30:803-815.
- Chen G, Kendall PA, Hillers VN, Medeiros LC. Qualitative studies of the food safety knowledge and perceptions of transplant patients. Journal of Food Protection 2010;73:327-335.
- Kersting AL, Medeiros LC, LeJeune JT. Differences in Listeria monocytogenes contamination of rural Ohio residences with and without livestock. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease 2010;7:57-62.
- Yang H, Kendall PA, Medeiros LC, Sofos JN. Efficacy of sanitizing agents against Listeria monocytogenes biofilms on high-density polyethylene cutting board surfaces. Journal of Food Protection 2009;72:990-998.
- Scharff, R, Medeiros, LC, McDowell JN. The Economic Cost of Foodborne Illness in Ohio. Journal of Food Protection 2009;72:128-136.
- Scharff, R, Medeiros, LC, McDowell JN. Evaluation of an Educational Intervention Using the Enhanced Food Safety Cost-of-Illness Model. Journal of Food Protection 2009;72:137-141.
- Medeiros LC, Chen G, Hillers VN, Kendall PA. Influences on behaviors that reduce the risk of foodborne illness in cancer patients. Journal of Food Protection, 2008;71:1666-1672.
- Lenhart J, Kendall P, Medeiros L, Doorn J, Schroeder M, Sofos J. Consumer assessment of safety and date labeling statements on ready-to-eat (RTE) meat and poultry products designed to minimize risk of listeriosis. Journal of Food Protection 2008;71:70-76.
- Wallner S, Kendall P, Hillers V, Bradshaw E, Medeiros LC. On-line continuing education enhances health care providers’ knowledge of food safety issues among high risk populations. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 2007;107:1333-1338.
- Medeiros LC, Chen G, Van Horn J, Fralic J, Hillers V, Kendall P. Essential food safety behaviors for older adults. Food Protection Trends 2006;26:14-20.
- Kendall PA, Hillers V, Medeiros LC. Food safety guidance for older adults. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2006, 42:1298-1304.
- ILSI, Expert Panel of Listeria monocytogenes in Foods. Achieving continuous improvement in reductions in foodborne listeriosis – a risk-based approach. Journal of Food Protection 2005;68:1932-1994.
- Hoffman EW, Bergmann V, Shultz JA, Kendall P, Medeiros LC, Hillers VN. Application of a five-step message development model for food safety education materials targeting people with HIV/AIDS. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 2005;105:1597-1604.
- Athearn PN, Kendall PA, Hillers V, Schroeder M, Bergman V, Chen G, Medeiros, L. Awareness and acceptance of current food safety recommendations during pregnancy. Maternal and Child Health Journal 2004;8:149-162.
- Kendall P, Elsbernd A, Sinclair K, Schroeder M, Chen G, Bergman V, Hillers V, Medeiros L. Observation versus self-report: validation of a consumer food behavior questionnaire. Journal of Food Protection 2004;67:2578-2586.
- Morales S, Kendall P, Medeiros L, Hillers V, Schroeder M. Health care providers’ attitudes toward current food safety recommendations for pregnant women. Applied Nursing Research 2004;17:178-186.
- Medeiros L, Chen G, Kendall P, Hillers V. Food safety issues for cancer and organ transplant patients. Nutrition in Clinical Care 2004;7:141-148.
- Medeiros L, Hillers V, Chen G, Bergmann, V, Kendall P, Schroeder, M. Design and development of food safety knowledge and attitude scales for consumer food safety education. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 2004;104:1671-1677.
- Hillers VN, Medeiros LC, Kendall P, Chen G, DiMascola S. Consumer food handling behaviors associated with prevention of thirteen foodborne illnesses. Journal of Food Protection 2003;66:1893-1899.
- Kendall P, Medeiros LC, Hillers V, Chen G, DiMascola S. Food handling behaviors of special importance for pregnant women, infants and young children, the elderly and immune compromised people. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 2003;103:1646-1649.
- Medeiros LC, Kendall P, Hillers V, Chen G, DiMascola S. Identification and classification of consumer food handling behaviors for food safety education. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 2001;101:1326-1332,1337-1339.
- Medeiros LC, Hillers VN, Kendall PA, Mason A. Evaluation of food safety education for consumers. Journal of Nutrition Education 2001;33:S27-S34.
- Medeiros LC, Hillers VN, Kendall PA, Mason A. Food safety education: What should we be teaching to consumers? Journal of Nutrition Education 2001;33:108-113.